What We Do
Since 1981, Wellspring House has been helping families and individuals on Cape Ann and the North Shore move out of poverty and live more fulfilling lives through the work of providing HOMES, JOBS and EDUCATION.
Wellspring will provide help to over 1,600 people this year. Our basic needs assistance will help people facing homelessness through:
- Emergency shelter for families
- Housing Search assistance for families living in motels
- Emergency homeless prevention funding and guidance
- Assist families who have recently experienced homelessness and moved into permanent housing connect with community resources to keep moving forward
- Our Holiday Store and Back to School backpack programs
- Permanent homes for 11 low-income people at our lodging house
- Advocacy for affordable housing and issues related to homelessness
The journey out of poverty requires education and jobs that provide a living wage. Wellspring House offers education and job training opportunities through curriculums that are designed to make sure that adult students can access information in different learning styles, and respectful of the adult learner. We help our students become creative, reflective learners capable of taking charge of their lives and learning. Our current programs are:
- The Adult Learning Initiative (ALI): An adult education program that prepares adults to apply to college or job training program, obtain a job or take the GED. The core curriculum is based on math, English, computer skills and a career development track.
- English Language program: A one-to-one tutoring program that helps immigrants develop their conversational skills and basic literacy in English.
- MediClerk: A job training program in partnership with North Shore Medical Center that trains low-income women to become medical administrative assistants.
- Robert Clark Rogers Educational Opportunity Fund: Provides grants to graduates of our education programs to support their college studies.
- One Family Scholars: Wellspring is a community partner with OFS and sponsors college students to receive scholarships, financial planning, mentoring and leadership training.