Program Coordinator and Health Care Career Advisor
Department: Job Training Initiatives
Position/Title: Program Coordinator and Health Care Careers Advisor
Reports to: Director of Job Training Initiatives
Hours Per Week: 32
Salary Range: Up to $48,000/year
WHO WE ARE
Wellspring is guided by the vision of a just society where every member of our community thrives. We are an innovative and welcoming learning environment where people push beyond the limits of their lives to realize success and fulfillment.
Wellspring inspires families and adults on the North Shore to achieve employment and financial security through stable housing, education, job training and career readiness.
Headquartered in Gloucester, MA, Wellspring provides programming on Cape Ann and across the North Shore. Our partners include North Shore Community College, Mass General Brigham Salem Hospital, Gloucester Public Schools and others.
WHAT WE SEEK
Wellspring is seeking to add a dynamic, person-centered and resourceful program coordinator and advisor to its six-person Job Training Initiatives team. This is a full-time, hybrid position with the possibility for flexible scheduling. At minimum, the position requires evening (2-3 nights a week) and Saturday (1-2 a month) availability during the academic year (September – June).
The Program Coordinator and Health Care Career Advisor will play a critical role in guiding the implementation of Wellspring’s MediClerk Training Program and Health Care Career Advising programs. Launched in 2002, MediClerk is a highly-successful occupational skills training program designed to help individuals gain the skills, confidence and professional networks needed to secure entry-level positions in medical office administration. Wellspring’s new Health Care Advising program is aimed at providing personalized advising, support, and referral services to a wide-range of students, job-seekers and career-changers who may be seeking pathways into clinical and non-clinical health care opportunities.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with Director, Senior Coordinator and Program Support Specialist on MediClerk enrollment process and student orientation
- Serve as primary staff member for students and instructors during evening online & Saturday in- person MediClerk programming (September – June). Monitor student “call-in” line and troubleshoot technical issues. Contribute to classroom & IT maintenance.
- Provide direct support to students enrolled in evening/Saturday program through weekly check-in calls, one-on-one advising, study groups and other techniques to support student persistence.
- Maintain current information on Wellspring and community resources available to support housing stabilization, food security, mental health, childcare and other needs.
- With Director and Senior Program Coordinator, source, secure and manage Saturday job-shadows and 2-week internship placements for evening/Saturday MediClerk students. Serve as primary liaison between evening MediClerk students and internship supervisors.
- Support planning of twice annual program graduations
- Ensure that program data and student record information is collected, recorded and maintained in accordance with MA Division of Professional Licensure and Wellspring protocols.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings and monthly Wellspring all-staff meetings
Health Care Career Advising
- Actively provide job search support and referrals for graduates of evening/Saturday MediClerk program and conduct quarterly follow-up for 12 – 24 months
- Develop and implement structure for Health Care Career Advising program, including needs assessment, education & training resource mapping, methodology, and scheduling
- Maintain an ongoing caseload of community members seeking and/or pursuing careers in health care (both clinical and non-clinical roles)
- Create and implement Job Shadow curriculum and teach Professional Success and/or Goals. Course assignments flexible based on teaching background.
- Develop curriculum and lesson plans based on best practices in occupational skill development.
- Collaborate with fellow instructors on project-based assignments.
Marketing and Community Outreach
- Support outreach and recruitment, with focus on growing programs and reaching new populations
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred; some college-level education + experience welcome
- Experience advising, coaching, and/or teaching/training experience with adults from culturally, linguistically, racially and socio-economically diverse backgrounds
- Skilled in Windows and Microsoft Office Suite, video-conferencing technology, and a variety of internet and cloud-based platforms (Google Suite, Google Classroom etc.) Comfortable learning new database management tools.
- Ability to comply with immunization requirements of Salem Hospital at least 2 weeks before date-of-hire, (COVID-19, influenza, MMR, Varicella and recent TB test).
- Experience working or learning in a health care environment highly desired
- Bi-lingual/bi-cultural candidates highly desired
SKILLS, ABILITIES AND COMPETENCIES
- Superior organizational skills, while also possessing the flexibility, creativity, and empathy needed to motivate others and adapt to individual needs
- A growth mindset and desire to continuously refine and improve practices and approaches
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to motivate others and present key information in a structured and engaging manner
- Understanding of adult learning theory and trauma-informed practices
- Unwavering commitment to honoring and boosting the confidence, strength and unique power within each person
- A hands-on and learner-centered approach to teaching and advising
- Highly collaborative and communicative, yet able to take initiative and be self-directed
- Deep commitment to justice, diversity, equity and inclusion
The MediClerk Training Program classrooms and offices are located in Salem, MA at 55 Highland Hall, an administrative building located on the campus of Mass General Brigham Salem Hospital. Occasional meetings and/or participant advising sessions may be held at Wellspring’s home office located at 302 Essex Avenue in Gloucester, MA. Remote work is conducted via telephone, ZOOM, Google Classroom, Google Meet, and other platforms.
This is a full-time position (80% FTE) with a salary commensurate with experience and skills. This position is eligible for health insurance benefits, retirement plan, paid vacation and holidays, and other benefits.
Please send your resume and cover letter via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, write your name and the position title. We will review all submissions, identify candidates, and contact ONLY those individuals selected to continue in the search process. No phone calls please.
Wellspring is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to creating an inclusive organization. We actively seek a diverse pool of candidates for this position.