HiSET Proctor / ESOL Outreach Representative
Department: Adult Education
Status: Part-Time (10-20 Hours)
Position/Title: HiSET Proctor / ESOL Outreach Representative
Reports to: Director of Adult Education
Hours per Week: 10 to 20 hours
Time Frame: Until June 30, 2021
This position is currently funded through June 30, 2021 with the possibility of continuing longer term pending budget approval.
Job Description Summary
Wellspring inspires families and adults on Cape Ann and across the greater North Shore to achieve employment and financial security through stable housing, education, job training and career readiness. To meet the needs of adult learners and young adults, Wellspring House offers college readiness classes, English classes for English Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), and high school equivalency preparation/testing. This position is for 10-20 hours a week serving as a HiSET Proctor and ESOL Outreach Worker.
As a HiSET Proctor, the position works in conjunction with the Educational Liaison. The successful candidate must be able to interact effectively and courteously with test takers and test center personnel. Proctors must be able to explicitly follow oral and written instructions from the Chief Examiner and/or HiSET administrator. Crucial to this role is the ability to follow guidelines set forth by the state. Teaching/tutoring is not permitted by any proctor.
As an ESOL Outreach Worker, the position works in conjunction with ESOL Coordinator to follow-up with participants through conversations, text and email. The role includes assisting students to complete applications/intakes and consistently entering information into the organization’s program database. Work for the ESOL program takes place remotely and/or at the Sawyer Free Library, Gloucester MA in the Adult Learning Center.
The HiSET Proctor / ESOL Outreach Worker position totals 10-20 hours per a week and hours are flexible within the two roles. This position is currently funded through June 30, 2021 with the possibility of continuing longer term pending budget approval.
Responsibilities for the HiSET Proctor
- Check-in test takers (registration confirmation and identification).
- Direct test takers to specific seats.
- Distribute and collect test books to and from each test taker individually.
- Answer general (procedural questions).
- Monitor and account for test materials, throughout testing.
- Verify that prohibited devices and testing aids are not being used in the test center, during the administration and during any breaks.
- Other duties as assigned.
Responsibilities for the ESOL Outreach Worker
- Ensure initial applications are completed and available for review by the Coordinator and/or Director of Education.
- Determine when a student is available for classes.
- Maintain accurate and timely completion of all data entry forms and submit into Wellspring’s database for review by the Director of Adult Education.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel, Internet, database and e-mail
- Translation of documents on an as needed basis
Please note, the responsibilities of the HiSET Proctor and ESOL Outreach Worker are subject to change as the needs of the organization and/or programs shift over time.
- Proficiency in Spanish and/or Portuguese (proficiency in both is preferred)
- Experience in ESOL and Adult Education supervision or related field
- Strong written and verbal and communication skills
- Well-versed in cultural responsiveness
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to collaborate
- Works well with a diverse population
- Ability to accomplish detailed, organized work within a limited time frame
- Commitment to a social justice mission and to meeting the needs of adult learners
- Maintains even style and courtesy under pressure
- Positive attitude
We offer competitive pay and benefits. For more information about Wellspring House, please visit our website at www.wellspringhouse.org. Qualified candidates please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. AA/EOE