Director of External Relations & Development
Position/Title: Director of External Relations and Development
Reports to: Executive Director
Hours per Week: 40
Send Resume and Cover Letter to: Melissa Dimond Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls, please.
Job Description Summary:
Guided by Wellspring House’s mission and vision, the Director of External Relations & Development is responsible for attracting, maintaining and expanding critical resources for the organization. This includes philanthropic dollars and people who give their time and talent as volunteers. Wellspring prides itself as an organization built on authentic relationships – within our programs, among the staff, and with the people who give funds and time. The Director is a key public face and ambassador of Wellspring’s commitment to equity and inclusion. Through engagement with donors, corporations, granting institutions and volunteers, the Director oversees a full slate of activities designed to foster broad community support. As a member of the Senior Team, the Director works closely with the Executive Director, Development Team members (direct reports), as well as the Board of Directors, other Staff, and Volunteers in service of Wellspring’s Strategic Plan.
- Oversees integrated, on-message communications for the organization including website, social media and print;
- Advises for program-specific communications to ensure that each department’s messaging is part of a well coordinated effort;
- Serves as a primary advisor to and partner with the Executive Director to ensure that communications are timely, engaging, fresh and meaningful;
- Responsible for ongoing relationships with communications-related vendors and contractors;
- Supervises staff responsible for onboarding, orienting, giving thanks for and maintaining regular contact with community volunteers;
- Ensures proper coverage for points of community contact including reception duties, regular opportunities for public tours and information sharing about Wellspring’s work, wayfinding and signage;
- Facilitates the use of email, mailings and social media to ensure regular outreach to donors, volunteers and the community-at-large, including ways to show appreciation for support.
- Implements fund development plans, including goals, timelines, and assignment of responsibility for all areas of fundraising;
- Leads the organization in continuously improving and expanding fundraising pipelines, including individual and corporate giving, sponsorships, foundation support, and special events;
- Develops and leads major donor campaigns; serves as the Chief Major Gift Officer with responsibility for the design and implementation of strategies and programs to attract donors;
- Identifies, cultivates, and stewards donors of all levels;
- Organizes, motivates, and leads the Development Committee, Board of Directors, and other organizational departments in participating in and/or mobilizing constituents;
- Acts as a liaison to corporate, foundation, and government prospects and participates in the strategic development of grant opportunities;
- Executes fundraising plans for annual campaigns, capital campaigns, and endowments;
- Partners closely with Executive Director and Grants Manager to ensure a strategic and ambitious annual and multi-year grant income plan;
- Plans and implements a calendar of fundraising events;
- Attends board meetings and serves on Development Committee and Committee on Trustees and Governance.
- Coordinates and monitors all development and communications activities, evaluates development resources and staff plans, and recommends changes as needed;
- Ensures fundraising costs are within established guidelines and oversees the budget for the Development Team;
- Manages the Development Team, which includes staff responsible for donor database management, communications with the public and supporters, event planning and implementation, grants management, and major donor relationships;
- Works in tandem with Executive Director and Grants Manager to ensure that grant activities are well integrated into Development and Communications strategies overall;
- Ensures the maintenance of an up-to-date and sophisticated donor database with appropriate reporting, tracking of trends, and gift acknowledgment.
- Demonstrated commitment to justice, diversity, and social change;
- High-energy person with the ability to articulate Wellspring’s mission with passion and conviction;
- Minimum of five (5) years of comprehensive, progressively responsible fundraising experience;
- A proven track record of cultivating relationships and experience in the solicitation of major gifts;
- Exceptional oral and written communication and interpersonal skills;
- Effective management and supervisory skills, with proven ability to work collaboratively as a colleague and a team builder/player;
- Ability to apply fundraising techniques with imagination and an entrepreneurial spirit;
- Able to work occasional nights and weekends;
- BA/BS or equivalent experience required. Masters Degree preferred;
- Connection to the Cape Ann community a plus.
* This job description is it not intended to include every duty, task or instruction. The scope of this position is expected to evolve over time based on the needs of the organization to fulfill its mission.