Overnight and Weekend Shelter Staff – Per Diem
Wellspring House, Inc. is expanding its per diem staff for occasional coverage of weekend and/or overnight shifts at our family shelter in Gloucester. Wellspring has eleven regularly scheduled evening/overnight/weekend shifts every week. The purpose of the per diem pool is to provide a consistent, reliable team of substitute staff members to fill in during vacation, sick time, and other open shifts. Job duties include general supervision of up to 5 families residing at the shelter, ensuring that families are in compliance with shelter guidelines, and maintaining security and order for the facility. We especially seek applicants who have prior shelter and/or residential experience. In addition to being able to maintain professional boundaries, excellent communication and problem-solving skills are a must. High school diploma or equivalent required. Some college preferred. CPR/First Aid Certification required. Overnight shifts are considered ‘asleep’, but staff members must be available to readily respond to the needs of Wellspring House, Inc. and shelter families as necessary during the overnight hours. The per diem position is non-benefitted.
Please email your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. No phone calls please. AA/EOE
Academic Advisor-Adult Learning Initiative (ALI)
Wellspring House, Inc. has been offering Adult Education and College Preparatory classes to adults in the Gloucester and Cape Ann communities for over 10 years. The majority of classes meet at Wellspring House’s main campus in West Gloucester, Massachusetts. The goal of the Adult Learning Initiative is to provide students with the tools needed to be successful in the workforce and in post-secondary educational settings.
Wellspring seeks an experienced Academic Advisor to work within the ALI program. This is a 32-hour week position. The schedule is flexible and fluctuates; however generally it will be Monday-Thursday, 11:00am-7:00pm.
The Advisor will be responsible for working with the students in the ALI program. The main goal will be to create a positive and comfortable learning experience while supporting students to be successful in the program. The Advisor will also be assisting students in their next steps in the workforce and/or post-secondary education. In collaboration with the Director of Adult Education, the Advisor will assist with the recruitment, intake and onboarding of new students. In addition, the Advisor may act as a substitute teacher as the need arises. Courses are taught in a supportive environment by faculty and tutors who provide individual assistance to each student.
- Advising and case management of ALI students.
- Recording and follow up with attendance.
- Assisting in recruitment, intake, and date input.
- Tracking exited students.
- Administering, scoring, and recording of assessments.
- Working with and refers students to any needed support services and other departments within Wellspring.
- Maintaining student files.
- Liaison to the Adult Learning Center including designated hours in the center.
- Completing ongoing student evaluations.
- Assisting Director of Adult Education on activities with external partners.
- Attending staff meetings.
- Researching and understand academic pathways and post-secondary options.
- Teaching: Designated substitute teacher, as needed basis.
- Attending professional development activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Flexible/Fluctuation schedule. Generally Mondays-Thursdays, 11:00am-7:00pm.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Three years’ experience in Higher Education, Adult Education, and/or counseling.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office platforms.
- Database experience.
- Excellent oral, written, aural, and interpersonal skills; able to build rapport.
- Experience working with socio-economically diverse/multicultural/multi-lingual populations.
- Sensitivity to socio-economic, cultural, racial generational and linguistic differences.
- Master’s degree in Education or related field.
- Proficiency in a language other than English.
- Commitment to a social justice mission and to meeting the needs of low-income students.
- Resourceful, organized and highly-adaptable- a proactive problem-solver.
- Knowledgeable of North Shore resources (or the willingness to learn).
- Knowledgeable of Community College Pathways and programs.
- Maintains even style and courtesy under pressure.
Please email resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. AA/EOE